Cards of Christmas Past: 2010: 19th Century Carolers in New Castle


 Cards of Christmas Past

2010

19th Century Carolers in New Castle


Our 2010 card shows the advantage of computer editing and printing to produce a card with more detail and color than our earlier card crafting approaches.  In the fall, at Oak Knoll Books on the top floor of the New Castle Opera House, I noticed the view of the old New Castle Courthouse, and it suggested the theme for this card.

I wanted to have a high angle view.  I made this very preliminary sketch...


I couldn't fly over the Courthouse, so I took photographs from ground level to work out the building's proportions.  Then I built a maquette, a little model, and photographed it from several viewpoints with a variety of lighting arrangements.



I chose this view for the card...


...made a very pale print of the cleaned up photo, carefully preserving the shadows.   Then I constructed the drawing over it...



And began adding color in Photoshop...

 
I drew the carolers, wagon, trees, the other buildings, and a few small details individually, scanned the drawings, then colored, scaled, and placed them as layers in Photoshop.  I experimented with several placements for the wagon and the carolers.

Here again is the finished view...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting Delaware's Flag

Not Really Crabs

ART, BOOKS, LIFE, & MORE