Handel and Easter


 Handel and Easter

A favorite of my paintings is my portrait of Handel, For Unto Us, referencing George Frideric Handel's The Messiah.  My painting title refers to a chorus in Part 1 of the work, which corresponds to Advent and Christmas.  The Messiah is traditionally performed in that season.  But the most popular and familiar chorus, "Hallelujah," dramatically concludes Part 2, which relates to Lent, Easter, the Resurrection, and Pentecost, here from my score from the 1950s.

I have provided Georg Fridric with a small chorus and an accompanying orchestral ensemble.   I created a monogram for the maestro and I signed with a corresponding personal monogram symmetrically akimbo to Handel’s torso.  Two angels join the performance from above.  A rank of organ pipes halos Handel’s powdered coif.

I wanted Handel to have a baroque setting, but not a traditional ornate baroque frame. I painted a baroque-revival “crest” on Masonite which is now screwed through support cribbing onto the gallery wrap canvas painting.  As a starting point I used as a model a thrift store candelabra, and added musical notation elements..

Originally painted for Christmas seasonal display, it is still hanging in our dining room in time for Easter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting Delaware's Flag

Not Really Crabs

ART, BOOKS, LIFE, & MORE