Obida Last Visit

10 June 2021
OBIDA
LAST VISIT 
  My grandparents had a small cottage on an isolated dune at Fenwick Island, DE. There were no near neighbors, no utilities, a pump for water outside, and an outhouse with a seat over a bucket.  I loved it.  The cottage, Obida, washed away in the Ash Wednesday Storm of 1962. (https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/delaware/ash-wednesday-storm-de/).  My last visit there was in the summer of 1960. just before I left for graduate school in California.  During the Covid-19 lock-down I did a set of paintings, Last Visit I & II.
 

The two similar frames were thrift store finds on different occasions. This style of frame is sometimes called Adirondack or Black Forest.  They were popular around the turn of the 20th century.  I pick up interesting bargain frames and see what painting they inspire.

Comments

  1. I recognize the picture on the right from a b/w photo, but the one on the left seems to be from memory.

    Judy never believed me when I told her how HUGE the sand dune in front was - - now she sees that it was indeed 40ft!!!! Or at it seem to be to a 10 year old.

    John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting Delaware's Flag

Not Really Crabs

ART, BOOKS, LIFE, & MORE