"Frenzy"


 Frenzy


Frenzy, looking up Broad St in Philadelphia, utilizes several of my stylistic favorites.  A black ground, near-white rendering, and a dome.  I started with a view up Broad Street in Philadelphia with two iconic buildings, City Hall at the center, and the domed Girard Trust Building which is now the lobby of a hotel. It was designed by Frank Furness, one of my favorite architects. He designed the (Joseph R. Biden, Jr.) Wilmington Amtrak Station, the now demolished Wilmington B&O station, Recitation Hall at the University of Delaware - wrecked by major renovation - and several other local buildings.  Once underway with the painting I realized I needed something to move it beyond a boring static image.  I introduced the foreground soaring, scavenging gulls to embody the frenzy of a big city at evening rush hour.  The date and initialed signature is in a dot matrix format, symbolizing the frenzy of a countdown display, as when James Bond diffuses a ticking bomb.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting Delaware's Flag

Not Really Crabs

ART, BOOKS, LIFE, & MORE