"Wisteria Gate": A Found Frame Painting


 Wisteria Gate

A Found Frame Painting

This little frame is an example of the Aesthetic Movement decorative arts in the late 19th century.  It was a thrift store find that I put away with my other interesting found frames awaiting a painting that I felt fitted the frame.  In the early months of the Covid isolation I did this painting, Wisteria Gate.  The view is the gateway into our small courtyard, wrapped by our house, garage and two stone walls.  I built the rustic brick pillars and pergola decades back.

The frame presumably was intended for a photograph.  It has a gold-tone arched mat with burgundy  velvet-textured trim.  The gold geometric patterned decoration on the black painted wood is typical of the Aesthetic Movement.  My little painting is acrylic on art-board.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting Delaware's Flag

Not Really Crabs

ART, BOOKS, LIFE, & MORE