My Library Globe 1


 

My Library Globe 1

When we bought and renovated our home in Wilmington in 1965-66, we re-did a long unused room facing Mount Salem Lane as our library. Here is the room while repairs were underway...
 

 
 
there was an out-of-scale tiny ceiling light fixture, but the "Queen Anne" stained glass transom windows and doors, and the paneled walls and ceilings reminded me of a capiz shell globe I had seen at a discount import shop in San Francisco.  We had just moved from  the San Francisco Bay Area a few months earlier.  The globes resembled the street lamps along Powell St. in San Francisco by the St. Francis Hotel.
 

 

My brother Vic was then stationed with the Navy in San Francisco, and I had him buy and ship the capiz globe to Wilmington.  It was only a globe, so I needed to build and wire the internal electrical assembly, still with us after 57 years.
 
Here is the globe as it is now...
 

The  globe has influenced my art and graphics over the decades.  We'll do future posts about it.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting Delaware's Flag

Not Really Crabs

ART, BOOKS, LIFE, & MORE