"Greater than the Moon, Lesser Than the Sun"


 Greater Than the Moon,

Lesser Than the Sun


One night the Blessed Virgin Mary came to me in a dream. She requested that I create an image of her "Greater than the Moon, lesser than the Sun."  While I never considered this more than an odd dream, I kept thinking about it for a few months.  Eventually I created this painting. 

The frame was salvaged from a broken mirror.  The arched top suggested the Sun/halo.   I added a pomegranate in Mary's hand.  This fruit is frequently associated with Mary in art and is considered to be the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden. You will also find Mary's twelve stars, the Marian monogram familiar to Catholics from the miraculous medal, and the title phrase in Latin which I also symbolized.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting Delaware's Flag

Not Really Crabs

ART, BOOKS, LIFE, & MORE