On the Avenue


 On the Avenue

On the Avenue is a 2006 glimpse of Wilmington's Delaware Avenue just west of the CSX (ex-B&O) railroad bridge.  Old familiar businesses are here such as the Del Rose Restaurant and Kelly's Logan House.  The street is populated by an assortment of characters.

After I painted this scene I composed a sequel, The Morning After.


 
For On the Avenue  I first did a line drawing without the figures which I scanned and saved digitally.  I then painted it in watercolor, then scanned and saved again.  I painted the figures individually and in small groups, scanned them, and positioned them in my digital copy of the watercolor of the buildings in Photoshop.

For The Morning After I converted my scan of the initial line drawing to a purple-on-purple scene, then drew/painted the bag lady, trash cans, etc. which I scanned and positioned in Photoshop as before.

While I have never done true digital art, I have frequently used Photoshop to size, color, and position elements that I hand drew or painted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting Delaware's Flag

Not Really Crabs

ART, BOOKS, LIFE, & MORE